Monday, October 27, 2008

I think I will run the Marine Corps marathon, she said

On a clear, cool day, Gabby set out to finish her goal of running in the 33rd Marine Corps Marathon. She trained for many months, spent many hours clocking those miles... 3 1/2 of which were run with me on a hot blazing summer afternoon at Watkins park... a steep price was paid by me... as I had not run at all in the past year. My legs were hobbled for the next week... But Gabby kept up the commitment and her pledge to raise donations for vocations... We are proud of her achievement! She had many supporters who encouraged her as she trained. Several (Jim Gill and Tim Lawrence) logged on to the internet and texted her whereabouts to me... as we moved from spot to spot to cheer her on... Amazingly, we were able to see her at three different spots as shown below... (five if you count the start and the finish).


In the beginning!!! Mom, Gabby and Liz.


Mile 10 1/2 .

Some of our nation's finest: giving drink to the thirsty.


Mile 15 under the bridge.

Mile 20... only 6.2 miles left.

The finish is just ahead!

Gabby finishes with her head held high! She ran to raise funds for vocations... almost $1000!
Seminarians along the route cheered her on, as well as her mom, sis and dad... all proud of Gabby's fine achievement.

What a day for us! It gives me great hope for us all that so many people set out to accomplish something and with will-power and determination so many made it! Gabby is a shining example of enthusiasm, optimism and determination. She inspires me!
May we all set out to do good and then stick with it and accomplish something for the glory of God!

Happiness is being done the run!
At the end!

4 comments:

Gabby Lynch said...

Thanks dad! Your commitment to my commitment really helped me. Thanks for the support and taking pictures and being there for me. I couldn't have done it without you!

Anonymous said...

What a precious family thing to miss! I wish I had been there. Great shots Dad. What a special daughter you have!

GiaoChi Vu said...

Wow, this is very beautiful!

I just talked to my mom this evening about how I am getting so confused and discouraged about my pursuit of getting a Bachelor Degree of Science in Nursing and becoming a pediatric nurse. It is a serious thing and very hard! I am honestly not having confidence of a success and determination for it. And whenever I think of giving it up, my heart is troubled inside. I think because God is very sad to know my thought. And maybe He led me to read about Gabby's wonderful commitment and achievement, right at this moment, to encourage me!

Congratulations and thank you very much Gabby for your great great example! You inspire me too! Truly! And thanks Ted for sharing it!

Now I am convinced that I really need to persevere to do something for the glory of God! Will-power, determination, commitment, enthusiasm, and optimism are wonderful words! So again, thank you!!!

Humbly,
GiaoChi

Jim Gill said...

Way to go Gabby...It has always been my dream to run a marathon. I hope I can do it one day like you did. Congrats.

Oh and good pics Ted...

Jim