
Experiencing the U.S. Holocaust Memorial on a Sunday morning is not a typical day of church. How does it fit in to travel with 48 youth and adults to a place that remembers in such vivid details, the horror of the inhumanity of individuals and groups acting upon other human beings? We live in a world of choice and action. We each are faced with choices every day. Upon entering the memorial the choice became to experience it or to wander through without reflection… Our group though young seemed to understand the gravity of the place… the bone chilling seriousness of the brick and mortar, cold steel and glass.
Because the architecture and design was crafted so thoughtfully, one had to experience moments if not hours of sorrow and grief over the exhibits.
As part of the experience, our young people were asked to reflect on the visit and respond to a few questions. Many provided thoughtful responses… and some jotted a few quick answers. The choice even today is to go back in our minds and remember the visit and reflect on the questions. Allow the memorial to engender in each of us the passion to never forget and to always embrace a viewpoint of defending the lives of all... especially those who are defenseless. Do not be afraid to stand up for the weak, the small and the poor. Do not be afraid to be ready to take a stand for the rights of others. Count yourself as one who belongs to all of humanity and to engage all in the process of celebrating life. In misery we are called to bless each other with our giftedness. In suffering even, we are called to inspire each other with our courage, love and honor for each other. In the end all that matters is how we treated even the least of these… in spite of that which we suffer. And do it all for the greater glory of God….AMDG: Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam… We must connect with the past and allow it to make us more effective today…
A visit to the Holocaust Memorial one Sunday morning after mass will catch you in the gut, and then you have a choice. Be that voice of love and change and courageous strength. Write me a note if you have taken time to think again of the experience. I look forward to your choices.

2 comments:
I am reminded of this poem.
From wikipedia.org
First they came… is a poem attributed to Pastor Martin Niemöller (1892–1984) about the inactivity of German intellectuals following the Nazi rise to power and the purging of their chosen targets, group after group.
When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.
When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.
When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.
When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.
Can you believe that I have never been. I really want to go and experience it. You are a brave soul for taking the youngin's! Keep up the outstanding efforts...
Post a Comment